With the NFL Draft within the rearview mirror, listed below are some notes to catch you up on what was occurring when you had been scouring the web for Antoine Brooks sport movie.
With the NFL Draft within the rearview mirror, listed below are some notes to catch you up on what was occurring when you had been scouring the web for Antoine Brooks sport movie:
• Trivia query: From 2010-2019, just one receiver chosen within the third spherical or later within the draft reached 1,000 yards in his rookie season. Who was it? (Reply at backside.)
• NASCAR would be the first sports activities league to renew competitors after being suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic. There will probably be no crowd at Darlington Raceway on Could 17, however barring a last-minute change in plans, there will probably be reside sports activities once more. The race received’t be an excellent check balloon for what sports activities will probably be like with out followers as a result of the gang isn’t a vibrant a part of racing tv protection like it’s in different sports activities. What will probably be fascinating to watch is the extent of preparation and security taken by NASCAR, and the way relevant it will likely be to different leagues.
• Via 4 episodes, ESPN’s “The Final Dance” has been every little thing viewers might have hoped for, and extra. One factor that turns into abundantly clear is that the 1997-98 Bulls might by no means have existed as they did in in the present day’s information-saturated age. That Chicago workforce was a novel product of an period the place the web was in its nascent phases as a media pressure, and there was nonetheless loads of thriller concerning the interior workings of the workforce. Moreover, there is no such thing as a means that Jordan turns into such a transcendent, world-famous athlete at another interval in historical past.
• Good on Pennsylvania for reopening its golf programs Friday. There are quite a few causes to proceed with an abundance of warning relating to opening up different parts of the economic system, however no sport is less complicated to play whereas adhering to social distancing tips, and as long as programs and their patrons are diligent and use frequent sense, the danger of points arising appears minimal at worst, non-existent at greatest.
• Per a report from ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler, the NFL is planning to launch its schedule for subsequent week with no deviations from the norm. Nevertheless, a delayed season begin, and video games in empty stadiums are being mentioned. At this juncture, and with the relative lack of each testing and general information concerning the coronavirus, it appears absurd to think about packed stadiums any time earlier than the 2021-22 season.
• A number of blue-chip school basketball recruits have eschewed going to high school and as a substitute chosen to enter the NBA’s G-League Skilled Path program. Amongst different issues, gamers in this system will obtain a $125,000 wage for the league’s five-month season, and the prospect at more cash from endorsements. What’s extra, this system additionally contains off-court improvement applications designed to acclimate gamers with the on-and-off-court rigors of the skilled sport.
• With the above in thoughts, I provide this query: Why would any participant ok to be chosen for that program hesitate for even a second earlier than telling the NCAA to pound salt? I can’t consider a great purpose.
• Talking of the NCAA, the group stated earlier this week that it helps a proposal that may enable collegiate athletes to signal endorsement contracts. The timing of the choice is damning, because it got here just a few days after Jalen Inexperienced and some different outstanding highschool basketball gamers introduced their intention to skip faculty and go for the Skilled Path program as a substitute. Solely a risk to its monopoly on prime highschool expertise might instantly open the NCAA’s eyes to the advantage of athletes benefiting financially from their names and likenesses. I’m positive it’s only a coincidence, although.
• With the Steelers draft within the books, the truth for 2020 is evident; no two males will probably be extra scrutinized than Ben Roethlisberger and new quarterbacks coach Matt Canada.
• The Pirates seemingly received’t be the one workforce that suspends retirement advantages for a few of its workers, however the truth that they had been the primary workforce publicly identified to have carried out so is dangerous optics for a franchise that may’t afford way more in that division. Moreover, it shouldn’t have been Ben Cherington’s job to make that announcement. That’s a process for Bob Nutting himself, or on the very least, Travis Williams.
• In the event you’re attempting to forecast Chase Claypool’s influence on the 2020 Steelers, know this. From 2010-2019, solely two receivers chosen within the second spherical topped 1,000 yards receiving of their rookie seasons: New Orleans’ Michael Thomas in 2016, and Tennessee’s A.J. Brown final yr. If Claypool comes wherever close to both what these two did, the Steelers can have gotten a steal.
Trivia reply: Chargers WR Keenan Allen, 1,046 yards in 2013.
— to www.timesonline.com