Jerry Harvey didn’t know what was about to hit him. The 2-day “Jeopardy!” champ had $70,002, and was going for his third victory.
However a software program engineer from Salt Lake Metropolis was about to take the “Jeopardy!” stage for the primary time. And he would find yourself successful that sport. And one other sport. And one other sport.
Ken Jennings would find yourself successful 74 video games and amassing $2.52 million throughout his record-breaking run. On Monday evening, “Jeopardy!” followers new and outdated obtained to see Jennings’ first “Jeopardy!” sport that aired June 2, 2004 — an episode that hasn’t aired since its authentic broadcast.
Listed below are some highlights from that sport.
The opening questions
- The primary clue of the sport has a shocking relevance almost 16 years later: “A quick spreading outbreak of a illness.” Harvey got here up with the right reply, “epidemic.”
- The second clue of the sport went to Jennings: “A brief part on the finish of a e book.” Jennings got here up with “epilogue” and obtained on the board with $400.
- When Jennings buzzes in for the third time, it takes him somewhat bit longer to reply the next clue: “The very best instance of one thing.” In his e book “Brainiac,” Jennings stated he didn’t know the reply when he buzzed in however figured he’d in all probability get it primarily based on his success with the class.
And he did. “What’s the epitome?” he stated. He now had $1,400.
- Jennings knew his films. He answered 4 of the 5 clues within the “quotable latest films” class, which within the early 2000s coated “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone,” “Pirates of the Caribbean,” “My Massive Fats Greek Wedding ceremony” and “Bruce Almighty.”
Jennings meets Alex Trebek
- After the primary business break, Jennings and host Alex Trebek had some entertaining banter.
Right here’s what Jennings stated throughout his 30-second introduction: “I don’t know in the event that they’re prone to be huge ‘Jeopardy!’ watchers, however I’d wish to thank Fuzzy the truck driver and the 2 drunk youngsters, as a result of they had been those who gave me a trip after I was stranded in the midst of the Nevada desert just a few years in the past.”
Trebek’s response? “Are you implying that drunk youngsters and truck drivers usually are not prone to be ‘Jeopardy!’ followers? Is that what you’re telling this nationwide viewers?”
“I’m certain they’re your greatest demographic,” Jennings stated.
“You guess they’re,” Trebek retorted.
Each day Double
On the half, Jennings led with $8,000. Contestant Julia Lazarus was in second with $4,800.
Within the Double Jeopardy spherical, Jennings landed on a Each day Double in a class referred to as “vocabulary” — the one Each day Double he landed on in the course of the sport.
Trebek famous that Jennings had gotten off to a very good begin and had nearly twice as a lot cash as Lazarus. Jennings had $10,000 and wagered $2,000.
- The clue: “Prefab metallic sheets used to print newspapers gave us this time period for normal wording as in contracts.”
- “What’s boiler plate?” Jennings stated, widening his result in $12,000.
three missed questions
Jennings missed three questions throughout this spherical. The primary got here throughout a class referred to as “senatorial successors.”
- The clue? “2002: Follows North Carolina’s Jesse Helms.”
- Jennings’ incorrectly responded with “Who’s John Edwards?” The proper reply, Elizabeth Dole, got here from Harvey.
Jennings later missed two questions back-to-back. In a class labeled “nation time,” Trebek was trying for the nation the place violinist Yehudi Menuhin was born. Jennings responded with Israel, however the right reply, which Harvey obtained, was the US.
- Jennings’ final miss of the sport: “In April 1939, this nation absorbed Albania.”
- Not one of the contestants got here up with the suitable reply — Italy.
On the finish of the half, Jennings led with $20,000. All through the sport, he appeared visibly impressed by Lazarus, who completed in a detailed second with $18,600 going into the Closing Jeopardy spherical.
The ultimate query
All of it got here all the way down to Closing Jeopardy. Jennings guess $17,201 on the class, “the 2000 Olympics” — a surprisingly massive wager contemplating he was on his honeymoon in the course of the video games and didn’t watch a single occasion, in accordance with his e book “Brainiac.”
- The clue: “She’s the primary feminine observe & subject athlete to win medals in 5 completely different occasions at a single Olympics.”
- Jennings responded, “Who’s Jones?” referencing Marion Jones.
- “We’ll settle for that, when it comes to feminine athletes there aren’t that many,” Trebek stated. If that response hadn’t been accepted, although, Jennings would have completed final. However as an alternative, he grew to become a one-day “Jeopardy!” champ.
In a clip that aired earlier than the episode, Jennings stated: “I’ve had a whole lot of wonderful experiences on the ‘Jeopardy!’ stage, however none extra memorable than the second on the finish of the present after I realized that I used to be going to be a ‘Jeopardy!’ champion for the remainder of my life and no one might ever take that away from me.”
— to www.deseret.com