June 5, 2020
| 12:19 p.m.
It solely takes a couple of seconds for an individual to drown, and drowning accidents are the main explanation for demise for youngsters 1 to four years of age.
Nearly 70 p.c of all drowning accidents happen in yard swimming swimming pools; nevertheless, individuals can drown in just some inches of water.
Santa Barbara County hearth would really like share the next swimming pool security tricks to stop drownings:
• By no means permit youngsters to be alone when close to water; be sure an grownup is at all times current.
• Ensure the pool is safe always.
• Maintain toys out of the pool space when not in use.
• Mount accepted floatation units close to the pool. Many toy floatation units are considered lifesaving units — they aren’t. They’re toys.
• By no means dive into an above-ground pool. Know the depth of the water earlier than you try and dive.
• Maintain a phone exterior close to the pool. Don’t go away youngsters unattended to speak on the phone.
• Put up the 911 emergency quantity on the phone.
If a toddler or grownup is in hassle in a pool:
• Don’t panic. Yell for assist.
• Get the kid or grownup out of the pool instantly.
• Name 911 instantly for emergency medical service.
• Start CPR if mandatory.
• In case you are not educated in CPR, observe the phone directions from the Fireplace Division Dispatcher till firefighters arrive to help you.
The Santa Barbara County Fireplace Division urges all Santa Barbara County residents to train security throughout any water leisure exercise.
— to www.noozhawk.com