- Rep. Tom Rice, a South Carolina Republican, introduced on Monday that he, his spouse, and his son had been contaminated with the coronavirus.
- However simply two weeks in the past, Rice appeared on the Home ground in Washington with no face masking.
- The conservative congressman stated he was in a position to preserve 6 toes of distance from everybody on Capitol Hill and did not have to put on a masks.
- Rice stated he got here down with comparatively delicate signs of the virus on June 7 and that his son suffered from “a excessive fever and actually unhealthy cough.”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Rep. Tom Rice, a South Carolina Republican, introduced on Monday that he, his spouse, and his son had been contaminated with the coronavirus. However simply two weeks in the past, Rice appeared on the Home ground in Washington with no face masking.
When CNN reporter Manu Raju requested Rice why he wasn’t carrying a masks within the chamber on Could 28, the congressman stated he may preserve not less than 6 toes of distance from everybody on the ground and within the halls of the Capitol and subsequently did not have to put on a masks. COVID-19 can unfold even from asymptomatic carriers.
“I do put on it typically on the ground,” he advised Raju in Could. “I make an effort to … keep 6 toes away from of us in accordance with pointers. And after I’m compelled right into a state of affairs the place I can not try this — like on a aircraft — I do put on a masks.”
The Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention recommends everybody put on a fabric face masking after they can’t preserve not less than 6 toes of distance from others.
—Manu Raju (@mkraju) June 15, 2020
Rice introduced in a Monday Facebook post that he and his household had contracted the virus and have been recovering from COVID-19, which he known as the “Wuhan Flu.”
“I wished to let you recognize that each one three members of our family: Wrenzie, our son Lucas, and I all have the Wuhan Flu. We’re all on the mend and doing high-quality,” Rice wrote. “COVID-19 is a critical, typically lethal sickness. We, nevertheless, have fared effectively.”
Rice stated that whereas the virus was “not unhealthy for me,” his son suffered from “a excessive fever and actually unhealthy cough.” The congressman could have already contracted the virus, and will have unfold it to others, when he hung out within the halls of Congress in late Could.
“I had a low fever and a gentle cough. It was passed by Thursday. I by no means stopped consuming or ingesting or working or shifting,” Rice stated. “The one unhealthy factor is I’ve utterly misplaced sense of style and odor. CAN’T TASTE BACON!!!”
Rice, one among eight members of the Home who’ve been contaminated with COVID-19, celebrated being “DONE WITH CORONAVIRUS!”
Like President Donald Trump, a contingent of GOP members of Congress have refused to put on masks in lots of public indoor settings, regardless of robust scientific proof that masks assist comprise the unfold of the extremely infectious virus.